Wednesday 10 June 2009

A Feeling

To feel, to taste, to taste that feeling….I missed it. There’s something so raw, so unpretentious about cooking. I feel like I’m wrapped in a warm blanket of garlic and olive oil, and the familiar hiss and buzz as the damp mussels hit the pan reminds me of my days at Skipper’s Dock. I can feel the muscles in the salmon tense up in the pan, feel it relax under my fingertips, crusting up so nicely, you’d swear it had been Designed just for that purpose. Computer screens, people, so many other things can play tricks on me, changing fonts and faces. But with my food, I trust my hands, and they trust me. I felt that way tonight, the food nothing more than mashed new potatoes, the salmon, and some mussels.

Cooking helps me retain my sanity. It’s just a feeling.

1 comment:

Catherine Giarrusso said...
This comment has been removed by the author.