Sunday 19 July 2009

5 Years Later....


Urbsfest started out as a New Year’s party…freezing our high-school asses off in my father’s basement, under trippy colored lights, hiding our low-end liquor in low-end soda bottles. There were maybe 12 of us that first year, using the snow for ice cubes, desperate for the limited amount of fun one can have in the middle of a New London winter.

But we all know what Urbsfest became by the time 2004 rolled around.

So, with all those great memories in mind, I can only say two things. One: I’m sorry I won’t be at Jonaroo. It promises to be something that any friend of the Braunstein would be honored to attend. And with the pouring rain of a Scottish summer falling around me, I’m even more jealous for the sun and pool that are promised in New Jersey next weekend.

Secondly, I can’t help but think of my own 30th. It’s inevitable. But, so should be another Urbsfest. Inevitable. Remember Sean Connery’s death scene in “The Untouchables?” I pose you the same question: what are you prepared to do? Would you brave a weekend in the New England winter for the sake of a comeback?

It’s funny, the crazy ideas the mind can come up with before that first hit of caffeine. But I put it to you, readers…is a winter Urbsfest possible? How dedicated are you?

No comments: